Poconos, Endless Mountains, and Urban Centers
NORTHEAST Pennsylvania is a land of contrasts. One of the fastest growing areas of the state, the region is dominated by flourishing forests; yet, under the tree canopy, the building of condos, lakeside homes, and vacation cabins surges ahead. In all four season,s the scenic wilds attract visitors to ski and tube, bike and hike, kayak and canoe, or hunt and camp.
In Pennsylvania’s Northeast: Poconos, Endless Mountains, and Urban Centers, you will enjoy the state parks, forests and game lands. You will learn from the area’s history, which provided an engine for America’s industrialization; as well as appreciate its cities, that engender the arts. From Bradford County in the west to Pike County in the east, the book also includes Carbon, Sullivan, Susquehanna, Wayne and Wyoming counties.
With 185 color photographs by award-winning photographer Blair Seitz and nine essays by one of Pennsylvania’s eminent writers, Ruth Hoover Seitz, this extraordinary book portrays the excitement and beauty of the region which conservationists scurry to protect as some of our nation’s most treasured wild habitat.
Pennsylvania’s Northeast: Poconos, Endless Mountains, and Urban Centers includes the following attractions, which make the region one of America’s favorite vacation areas:
- Hickory Run, Promised Land and Ricketts Glen State Park
- Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area and the Delaware & Lehigh River
- Bushkill, Dingmans, Buttermilk, and more waterfalls
- Canyon Vista and High Knob Overlook in the Endless Mountains
- Courthouses of Lackawanna, Luzerne, Pike, Schuylkill, and other counties
- Everhart Museum, the F.M. Kirby Center for the performing Arts, and other art centers
- Anthracite Heritage Museum and Eckley Miners’ Village
- Camelback, Big Boulder and Jack Frost ski and other resorts
- Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Jim Thorpe, and other historic districts
- Dorflinger-Suydam Wildlife Sanctuary and National Natural Landmark, Tannerville Cranberry Bog
Written by Ruth Seitz. Photography by Blair Seitz. Published by RB Books in 2000
isbn: 1-879441-81-0, HC, 8 1/2 in. x 11 in., 185 photographs, 144 pages